What's 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten?
Ages: Birth to Age 5
This self-guided and self-paced early literacy program promotes reading to newborns, infants and toddlers.
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten helps children develop the tools they need to become proficient readers and encourages parent/caregiver and child bonding through the activity of reading together.
Goal is to read 1,000 books with your child before the child reaches Kindergarten.
How To Participate... Its Easy As 1, 2, 3, 4
- Register Online or In Person
- Visit Greenburgh Public Library To
- Collect your Welcome Bag
- Add your name to the 1,000 Books Wall of Fame
- Keep Track - Each time your child reads or is read a book check off an Elephant on your Reading Log.
- Get an Incentive for Every 100 Books Read - Bring your Reading Log(s) to the GPL Children's Room to claim your prizes.
I've Read 1,000 Books!
- Your Photo Will be hung on the Wall of Fame
- Official Certificate of Merit
- Pick A Book To Keep
Tips & Tricks
- If your child asks for you to read the same book more than once, please do... over and over again!
- Fun Fact: If you read just one book a night, that totals 365 books in a year... then by age 3 they've read 1,095 books. If your child begins Kindergarten at age 5 you have more time than you think to complete the program, so get started!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can participate in this program?
Any child from birth until they enter Kindergarten.
- How long will the program take?
The program can take anywhere from a few months to a few years. The program is self-paced and will depend on how often you read together.
- Can I still participate if my child is 2, 3, 4, or 5 years old?
Yes, even if your child is scheduled to enter Kindergarten next year, you can still begin the program. Just quicken your pace in regards to how many books read per week in order to finish before the child enters Kindergarten.
- How many children can participate?
All of them (provided they have not yet started Kindergarten). Make it even more fun and read as a family!
Printable Reading Logs - Click Here.