Carol Perron Sommerfield
March 17, 2023 through April 29, 2023
Artist Reception: Saturday, March 25, 2023 - 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.
We welcome back Carol Perron Summerfield to the Greenburgh Public Library. This will be Ms. Perron Summerfield's third exhibit at the Greenburgh Library. Always a favorite this exhibit demonstrates Carol's growth as an artist and a person. We are pleased to have her back.
Ms. Perron Summerfield's Artist Statement:
"All proceeds from the exhibit will benefit local organizations and projects that support three themes: land/habitat conservation/restoration/education, food insecurity, and affordable housing.
"Returning" has layers of meaning for me.
First, Returning represents my return to painting after two years of not painting during Covid; a time when I chose instead to use native plants as my medium and the land as my canvas.The result of that was the birth of the Ardsley Pollinator Pathway and numerous native pollinator public and private gardens. I had a blast.
Second, Returning represents my desire to give back to the organizations and causes I hold dearly, many of which lent me a generous helping hand as I navigated Covid and built the Ardsley Pollinator Pathway.
Third, Returning marks my third solo exhibit at the Greenburgh Public Library, and I'm honored to return. Ten percent of all painting sales go to this incredible resource in the Town of Greenburgh as a commission.
Fourth, Returning also describes revisiting some painting themes and mediums from the past. After several years it was interesting to see how my interpretation of familiar subjects and use of mediums has changed - or not.
How the Benefit Exhibit Will Work:
There are three main themes and the paintings within those themes can be accessed by clicking on the theme below.
There are nine organizations that will benefit from painting sales. A few paintings are not for sale (NFS): these are in my private collection. The rest will work to fund these nine organizations. I will designate the beneficiary for each painting in the exhibit. The Greenburgh library receives a 10% commission on all sales and so the buyer writes two checks: One for 10% of the sale price to the Greenburgh Public Library to cover the exhibit commission and the other for 90% of the price to the painting’s designated organization. I will collect all checks and then send them to the organizations. If you would like to see a bigger image of the painting, click on the image or email me and I'll send you a jpeg. At the end of the exhibit I will notify all buyers and beneficiaries of the total funds that went to each organization.
The paintings are available for sale beginning midnight Saturday, March 18.
Paintings can be viewed in person or online. To purchase a painting, contact me. Or come to the opening reception on March 25 to see the paintings and make the purchase. It will be first come first serve for purchases.
Paintings that are sold will be available for pickup or shipping as of May 1. If paintings need to be shipped the buyer covers the cost of shipping."
February 1 – March 31, 2023
Josefina Buse is a self-taught artist working in mosaics. Her colorful well-crafted pieces show the continuing evolution of her art. She started out as a lover of jigsaw puzzles before deciding to make her own puzzles, turning those puzzles into art.
In her own words, “I have been a jigsaw puzzle lover since I can remember. One day while sitting in front of the one I was working on, a thought came to mind: “Life is like a puzzle, we put pieces together every day. We try to stay put, to deal with past and everyday circumstances, good and bad, we grow, we make mistakes, we learn, we put pieces together and every day we become a better version of ourselves. It truly is a never ending story!
It didn’t take too long for the thought of making my own puzzles, now my mosaics, to come to me. I wanted to be in charge of my own destiny, of my very own life. Me, choosing what pieces to add, to connect, and make it the best I could was just like my work with mosaics. That was the beginning of this Mosaic Journey. Now, I cut the pieces, choose the ones I love the most and put them together to create art. I haven’t stopped yet. Well, maybe just for a few months when I was diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome on my right hand, pretty common when making mosaics, but I am back!
I am a self-taught Mosaic Artist. Shockingly, finding Mosaic classes in New York was extremely difficult, but luckily, I found a place, took a three-days class and I was hooked! Thank God for that, for YouTube and the wonderful Mosaic Facebook pages I belong to, I was, I am and I will be able to learn more about this beautiful and amazing Ancient Art. It’s been six years already. This is just the beginning! There is still so much to learn!
Thank you for being here!"